View Single Post
Old 08-22-19, 07:59 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by gammy13
I've been wracking my brain trying to think of use cases for expensive commuter bikes ($1000+).
1. They're nicer to ride, especially over the 32 mile average daily round trip to commute.

2. A nice one for $3000 costs 1/10th the average new commuter car, and 1/30th to 1/40th a nice commuter car like a Tesla Model S P85D (four times faster than a Ferrari, because it's allowed to use California HOV lanes during rush hour).

I used to commute on my Litespeed titanium road bike with Campagnolo Record gruppo, carbon fiber brake levers, power meter, dynamo light, and rack.

Because there's a good chance it would get stolen.
Parked in your office or locked bike room it's not going to be stolen.

I prefer driving my German sports sedan, and going for a nice bike ride before work. 24 stop lights and 10 stop signs in 13 miles ruined bike commuting for me. With highways, it's 11 and 2 with infrequent stops at consecutive lights because they're timed for traffic traveling at the speed limit.

No one would bat an eye at that if my car hadn't weathered over the 19 years I've been driving it.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 08-22-19 at 11:57 AM.