View Single Post
Old 05-12-20, 10:56 AM
pauliewalnuts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Apologies from this busy healthcare worker for taking an age to get back. Thanks for all the the replies which have made me realise how much I have to learn, but we all start somewhere I guess. I can't get back to everyone individually but here is where I stand at the moment:

I think 32mm tyres will do just fine for commuting and light touring around Ireland.

I've decided on Nitto albatross handlebars, love the look of these and more upright riding position. Personally I have no love for drop bars as I don't use the drops and like to be able to see the road ahead of me.

Disc brakes definitely appeal but with a tight budget they are not an option so cantis it is.

I am going to get the wheels built and if budget allows get a dyno hub. I feel like dyno lights will be a benefit, especially in Irish winters where I'll need lights twice a day while commuting.

I need to read up on gearing but from what I gather the Sugino Alina 2 triple 46-36-26 will work well. I can buy one of these for 70 euro, should I jump on that? Or am I better off getting the Sugino double like suggested above? I know the Shimano Tiagra groupset has been suggested but I would like the components to fit into the aesthetic I want for the bike if possible.

I think i will go with bar end shifters for their simplicity and reliability.

The rest I am hoping my LBS can advise me on.

I will see where I am budget wise for racks, bags etc but my fear is there won't be much left.

Unfortunately Bob Jackson and my LBS are closed at the moment so I will have to wait until things to get back to normal.