View Single Post
Old 05-23-20, 11:27 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
For 3 to 5 day rides, if your camping gear was lightweight and you packed pretty minimal, that bike would do. But I can't tell from the photos how low the gearing is, your rear sprockets look a bit small for touring. I suspect that most touring bikes today would have much lower gearing than that bike. The shifters look like older friction shifters, modern indexed shifters are really nice to have in comparison.

I am a bit confused by the photo, the rims do not look like they have been used with rim brakes, but you have rim brakes on the bike. Perhaps it is just the photo that is confusing me?
Gray hard anodizing on the rims can be very hard wearing and if bought used might not have been used much either. The ano also probably contributes to the lousy braking along with the old brake pads. With the triple on there it'll probably do fine as long as he doesn't head for the Rockies.