Old 06-30-20, 04:47 PM
littleArnold

Bikes: Trek, Schwinn, Huffy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Fixie vs Geared Road Bike

I was curious what the difference would be between a Fixie that was more a road bike vs a true road bike with all the gears. Unfortunately good road bikes are a little out of my range now. I read reviews with low cost budget road bikes and one of the biggest complaints was shifting and chain falling off. I was reading that Fixies can be great road bikes so...

I would like something faster than my Trek FX 2 hybrid preferable or just as fast.

I usually try to avoid shifting much at all when I ride. I will only shift when climbing hills or going up bridges that climb over water/ highways and when I do shift I only use the smaller gears. I usually always keep it on the 2nd big cog and rarely use the big 3rd cog or the small 1st cog. Sometimes I just forget about shifting and muscle the bike up the hill/ bridge on the gear I keep it in the whole 20 mile bike ride.

I do take advantage of the flywheel and coast a lot though when I ride. Even when I go faster and ride 14 miles in an hour on the hybrid, I still will coast a little to catch my breath a little. I heard you can't coast on Fixies ?

The only thing that got me looking at fixes rather than a road bike is the cost... from what I read online you can get a great Fixie road bike for a fraction of the cost of a great geared road bike. Also a co-worker I had in a past job I had said he would ride a Fixie road bike out in Phoenix area all day long for his job and transportation, he didn't own a car at all. His job was delivering Submarine sandwiches door to door through the city of Phoenix and he did it on a Fixie Road bike. I asked him if he could go very fast on it and he claimed he could.