Old 12-05-19, 04:53 AM
Greenhil

Bikes: 2018 Kona Rove NRB, 2121 Kona Libre

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
No, not fond of wasting away. Training "a bit more" is obviously impossible. However it is possible to train perhaps harder, but less frequently. I call it training smarter, not harder. I use HRV, TrainingPeaks, a power meter, HRM, supplements, anything that will give me more information or a little faster recovery. Plus I research the hell out of training theory, etc. The biggest thing I've found to help is consistency and periodization. At 74, I'm very close to holding my own. There's a 154 mile, 10,000' event I've started doing every year again, just to have a goal and a marker. Over the past 4 years, I've gotten 20' slower. My last two years were same time. I'm finishing in about the same area in the pack these past 4 years, a little better than 300th out of 800. Thing is, one's peak power declines, but focusing on endurance events gives one a leg up, so to speak. Endurance fades slower than speed, and being retired I can be more consistent than most folks.
Your post sent me down a rabbit hole reading about HRV and checking the TrainingPeaks site. I wonder if you could share a little more about what your training routine looks like. Thanks - and congrats on your results in the 154 mile/10k event. Really impressive!