View Single Post
Old 10-19-19, 03:36 PM
1saxman

Bikes: Trek 930 (1992), Motobecane Hybrid w/juice brakes, spring fork and Shimano 8-spd hub.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
My "new" bike day will be sometime next week. I am actually resurrecting a Trek 8000 hardtail that I bought as a 40th birthday present for myself in 1995! It needs a good cleaning, a new chain, new fatter tires even though it has some 26x1.5 city tires on it that are barely used, new saddle and new grips that both have disintegrated. Shifting is very stiff so maybe new cables, or a lube on the old ones which look to be intact. I currently have a carbon road bike and my Trek 7000 that I use as a commuter, two steel road bikes from the 1980s, and a Cannondale from the 1990s.

Living in NYC limits the use of a trail bike as there aren't very many places to ride off street, but I know of a few. It certainly isn't enough though to buy a bike new for it, but I already have this one.
I hear that. I did the same thing, put on narrower tires on the Trek, then recently changed them. I used Michelin 'Country Racer' clinchers, about 2.1"
Nice soft tires with loads of grip.

Hey, just Christmas many years ago, nothing like a new bike!

Last edited by 1saxman; 10-22-19 at 05:03 PM.