View Single Post
Old 11-08-19, 08:46 PM
1saxman

Bikes: Trek 930 (1992), Motobecane Hybrid w/juice brakes, spring fork and Shimano 8-spd hub.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Keep on pushin' is right, but I'm doing the opposite, going back to pavement. I put thinner road/trail tires on my old trek 930 and I'm using that for the paved trail (50 miles) that I'm riding lately. I started with 14 miles, 7 out and back. The next week it was 16 and last week was 18. We're starting close to the middle and alternate directions so it doesn't get too old. I tried the trails first but didn't get that much of a kick out of it. I had the 930 for years but never really used it until this latest return to biking. Even 35 years ago when I was in a club, I didn't ride ten miles or more at one time every week like I am now. Over the years I got rid of my road bike and another MTB, just keeping the 930. I recently bought a hybrid but made a mistake when I decided to get one with an 8-spd Shimano geared hub. It works great but I should have got a regular derailleur drive hybrid. So now I'm stuck with that and still need more of a road bike but with the semi-upright position. I may have the answer in an older Schwinn Mesa Runner that we were using on an exerciser rig. I'm cleaning it up and testing it now to see if it will be more suitable for that paved trail than the Trek 930. I'll have to overhaul it and replace the tires/tubes before putting it into use, but its the old-style assembly that I have all the tools for; crank puller, spanners, freewheel tool, etc. This bike was one I bought for my wife but she never really took to biking so it really has no miles on it, but the grease has dried up and the tires dry-rotted. I sprayed Pledge on it and wiped it down and the thing looks new - crazy for a 1985 bike.
But you do have to 'keep on pushing' because things are not as easy as they were 40 years ago. On off-bike days I walk about 3 - 4 miles and that seems to aggravate the soreness from the bike, but its getting better too.
I am still gigging on sax and all this leg work is really helping me there too. After standing up for a 4-hour gig I have much less tiredness and soreness.
Likes For 1saxman: