Thread: Saddles
View Single Post
Old 01-04-20, 02:11 PM
1saxman

Bikes: Trek 930 (1992), Motobecane Hybrid w/juice brakes, spring fork and Shimano 8-spd hub.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Mine is an H2 also, with the steel rails and frame. Yes, there is some adjusting to do. I roughed it in statically in the garage and will take a good ride on Sunday to get it right before the Monday morning long ride and probably will have to take a turn or so on the tightener. Their directions were the best I've encountered for fitting any saddle and I learned a ton just from that. Its possible that not having the saddle positioned properly was my principle problem, and probably explains why I could never ride 'no-hands' in the modern era - I could do it to some extent as a teen on the old bikes. Not sure I'll be able to anyway but that's one of their tests - if you can't because you feel like you're sliding forward, the tilt is wrong. The 'nose-up' attitude they recommend is also critical for the comfort of your 'sit-bones' along with the fore-aft adjustment. Because I'm not tall, there seems to be plenty of 'aft' movement available.
Just going by how it feels in the garage compared to the other saddle/position, I have high hopes for it. The major change so far is I raised the seat post about 1/2". This is really not part of the new saddle adjustment - it was too low - at least I think so, and going by the Selle adjustments it took that to get the vertical plane from knee cap to pedal axle with pedal at 3:00. I've been leaving the saddle too far forward according to their instructions, plus, the old saddle is shorter than the new one, compounding that problem.
One drawback to all this 'correctness' is it is going to throw more weight forward on my hands as my rear raises up and scoots back, stretching out my arms and lowering my head. This is great for racing but is going to give me more neck pain (from looking up) and hand numbness. Whatever, as long as I'm using this bike that's the way it will be - The stem is already at max height so I might have to put a taller one in it. Or, I might be better off simply using a different bike. I have one that I'm thinking of overhauling and trying out.
If this works like I think it will, I'll be entering a new world with less pain and that long ride will become a reality.