FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
Really a good post and well said. I too own a 29er mtb and ride more off road than on because of access more than preference.
I have tested my mtb set up from aggressive drop to well above and my bars with sag are around saddle height. This is vastly due to the pounding on the hands if setting the mtb up with drop. I could set it up like a beach cruiser of course but then I lose speed and handling. So it is a compromise. On the open tarmac I hunch down in a roadie position with hands right on the bar near the stem and hammer because the road is smooth and I can take that position.
Mtb's and especially 29ers make great commuters and touring bikes...best of all worlds.
Cheers.
Amen. MTBs are fantastic commuters, particularly given the current state of the roads ... e.g. potholes and debris. With some nano knobbies or slick tires, they'll roll fast, carry any weight and will take a beating. Vintage hardtails can be had for a song, and dress up nicely. And, i guess to keep it on topic, a more upright position is very appropriate for a urban commute, easy to achieve on an MTB with a stem riser or riser bars. Shop for a frame one size down, (shorter tt).

Last edited by FrenchFit; 08-11-11 at 09:45 AM.