View Single Post
Old 09-22-19, 07:34 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by rvp12
@badger1 have you considered any other saddles apart from Avatar and also any reviews about Avatar that you can share, I am considering either Avatar or Toupe, will be checking out whether I can get to demo both so that I can decide. Grips is something I want to change, howz Ergon GP2 in terms of comfort to the stock grips ? Any other that you have considered before buying this.
Can't be much help, I'm afraid. I've been using Specialized saddles since around '03 or so. They just work for me. Been on the Avatar since '10, and have a new one in a box for when/if this one gives up. I don't think reviews help much re. saddles either, other than as to overall quality of mfg./materials; finding 'the one' really is trial/error. If you can find demos, that's the way to go -- at least initially.

Grips are kind of the same. I've been using Ergon exclusively since they became available in North America -- whenever that was. '07ish maybe? Again, they 'just worked' for me from the get-go. First thing I changed on my '10 Sirrus and again on this new one. I found the stock ones on the '19 particularly awful; they were on the bike for all of the 10 kms or so it took to ride the bike home from my lbs.

Two things about Ergons. First, watch the sizing. They come in 'Small' and 'Large' (or equivalent): the 'Large' really are huge. I use 'Small'. Second: be prepared to fiddle a little with angle. I can now set a new pair by feel/look because I've been using them for so long, but if you get them take an Allen key along with you the first few rides so you can alter the angle a little til they 'feel' right. Remember too that though they are very popular they don't suit everyone.