View Single Post
Old 11-03-19, 06:34 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1830 Post(s)
Liked 3,391 Times in 1,586 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man

What about those Classic frame that when bought new were fitted wit the components that the original buyer wanted rather than what was offered on a complete bicycle.
The first nice bike that I owned was a Raleigh Gran Sport. Beautiful bike, but even with my limited experience at the time (circa 1975), I knew that most of the parts on a Gran Sport were ... not the best.
I already had a few spare parts from earlier projects, so I arranged to buy the Gran Sport from the local shop with just the parts that I liked. That ended up being just the Weinmann centerpull brakes and the Stronglight 93 cranks.

I equipped the bike with SunTour Cyclone derailleurs, SR bars & stem & seatpost, KKT Pro Ace pedals, Brooks Pro saddle, wheels built with Shimano 600 hubs & Super Champion Model 58 rims, etc. I rode that bike for 14 years and didn't regret any of the choices.
By chance, I did pick up some Campy SL track pedals and Record hubs a bit later, which got incorporated into the bike too.

Given a choice between a stock Gran Sport and my component choices, I still stick with the parts I put on the bike. The original stuff was nothing special at all.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy: