View Single Post
Old 10-25-16, 04:02 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 786 Times in 504 Posts
After almost 30 years collecting dust on it I got my custom touring Paramount down from the ceiling hooks and proceeded to make it road worthy. I had to change the handlebars to a medium high rise style with a special bend I did to them to improve comfort for my new right shoulder. Campy 36/46/54 Record cranks with a Shimano 14/28 5speed freewheel was good enough for a 56 mile, windy ride this morning. 27" x 1-1/4" tires made for a smooth comfy ride but didn't allow me the speed needed to hang with the guys as they rolled away at 23mph. I forgot just how compliant a true touring frame is and how easy it is to ride without holding on to the bars. I wouldn't want to be reading BF while riding but having a food break unwrapping items before munching the goodies inside is a breeze.

I have almost 2 months before I can get back on the Propel because I have to give the muscles time to re-bond to the bones after my shoulder replacement so I'll be riding the Paramount during next month's Horrible Hundred.