Old 04-20-17, 08:18 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
The damage has been done, and most of it was self-inflicted.

I've also had less than stellar communications with Tern Singapore about a Kinetix Pro X wheelset recently.

Not impressed. Tern has competitors.

Originally Posted by sweeks
I've been on this Forum for several years, but haven't checked in for a long time. I have a Tern Verge S11i which I bought almost four years ago (from Thor, as a matter of fact!). I've got 4,700 miles on it, accumulated by daily riding to and from work.
My frame was recalled last year. It was not cracked, and I was tempted to keep riding it because I felt able to catch the problem before it got to the breaking point. Tern was very persuasive and I submitted to a frame replacement. The new frame design has significant improvements to strengthen the frame joint area. I feel confident that the frame crack era is in the past.
As for the pivot bolts breaking (the "little brother" of the frame cracks), the new frame design uses a single hinge pin which is *much* less likely to be a problem.
There were some growing pains in Tern's first few years, but these issues have been sorted, IMO. The bikes are not inexpensive, but anyone who thinks they are poorly-made junk is sadly misinformed.

(Hi, Thor and Mark!)
Steve Weeks
Attachments: View of underside of frame showing weld for internal gusset plate; View through frame vent hole showing gusset plate; The VS11i with the new frame