maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by dvai
So I need your help.

My saddle cracks a lot. I have a Trek Domane with standard seat post (steel clamp with carbon post) and a WTB rocket saddle with titanium rails.

You can reproduce the creaking by holding each edge of the saddle and torquing up and down...

The interesting thing is that the creak can increase or decrease depending on how tight the front and rear screws are set. The issue is that you need to adjust those screws in order to set the ideal saddle angle.

I went to my LBS and they said the creaking seems to be from where the rails is inserted in the saddle. They put some lubricant in the area but didn't helped a lot.

I tried to install another saddle (sella italia also with titanium rails) and something similar happens.
Thoughts?

Is this to be expected?
Is there something wrong with the clamp in the seat post?
Is this common in titanium rails?

The creaking drives me nuts when riding.

Any thoughts?
For me, the type of creaking you describe is usually from dirt and dust in the seat rail clamp.

Take out the saddle and clean the seat clamp VERY thoroughly. Then apply a bit of WD40 to the area. (don't know about grease, seems messy to me). The reinstall the saddle and see if that worked.

Could also be dirt between the seatpost inside of the seat tube. You can take the seatpost out and clean both thoroughly with a rag. Then apply some fiber grip paste to your CF seatpost.

Good luck!