View Single Post
Old 04-08-20, 08:23 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by c0rbin9
Interesting, it makes sense that hybrids would be the best suited since they are purpose built, it's too bad all the 80s/90s hybrids I know of are budget/midrange, with the notable exception of the XO series.

It's a bit difficult to define my use - if I'm honest it's more just that I want a cool bicycle that can do a little bit of everything. This would be for short pleasure rides in the neighborhood or city, mostly on the road, but which may include broken asphalt, curbs, light dirt paths, etc.
Yeah, that's true about hybrids. They were nearly always budget to midrange models.

I think you could be happy with a converted vintage touring bike, or a converted higher end vintage MTB. For me, I'd go the touring bike. I ride my Mercian touring bike on dirt all the time. Same thing with my PX10. No problem. If you do a 650B conversion, it will give you some extra wheel strength to work with, as well as fatter tires obviously. However, this is perhaps a bit overkill for the riding you describe. I use my Clem for that stuff usually. (basically a modern 80s MTB)

The mention of curbs concerns me a bit. I ride road bikes over curbs all the time, but I at some point learned how to hop them and crawl them without stressing my wheels. Takes practice. If you plan to roll on or off of curbs, definitely go vintage MTB. (Even then curbs should be bunny hopped.) Also important is your weight. Over 200, think MTB. 150, convert a touring bike. In between, your call.