davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by pbass
Yep, there is a technique learning curve but it doesn't take long at all. I can ride in Vans now (with pins) and feel fine for mellower rides (otherwise it's Five Tens, every time). But one thing I'd say NEVER feels good is if I have something on like a trail running shoe or hiking shoe that has a lugged tread - that feels way sketchier. And the extra cushion of the sole doesn't give you the feedback you want. Fine for a casual or mellow ride, but not when things get rough. And even with Five Tens famous grip, if you want to shift your feet, you can in whatever teeny increments you want. Big lugs/tread make me feel "hung up" on the pins.
I have on my "to do" list to get some platform-specific shoes; also several of my nylon pins on pedals are sheered off so time to replace pedals with ones with replaceable pins.

I JUST got a dropper post, new brakes and a new saddle so my upgrade wish list is depleted for the time being - This wasn't as important in the beginning but as, you mention, as the trails I ride become more and more technical and the margin for error less and less....
Likes For davei1980: