View Single Post
Old 06-11-20, 04:59 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
I hate really hot weather and don't mind touring when there are cold nights or at least is overnight frost. That said I am not inclined to tour in real winter conditions. My Southern Tier ride was mid Feb - mid Mar so I had overnight frost often and one night it got down into the teens, but it got to at least 50F by mid to late morning pretty much every day. There was a little snow by the side of the road on a couple passes and there could have been snow at some point, but wasn't. That is about as much winter as I choose to tour in. The young guy I rode with part of the way thought it was cold pretty much the whole way, but he grew up in south Florida and lived in San Diego.

So yeah, maybe winter touring in the South. Real winter touring in real winter conditions, probably not. If I was touring when I was younger, I probably would have. I'll go XC ski camping or snowshoe camping if I feel the urge to winter camp. If there is no snow I'd consider maybe backpacking in cold weather too. Actually car camping or staying in a cabin and day hiking, XC skiing, or snowshoeing are probably more likely for me these days.

Last edited by staehpj1; 06-11-20 at 07:57 AM.