J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I meant to make my comment on this bike here but I accidentally put it in the "what are you wrenching on" thread.

Have you ridden a tandem? I find it quite hard. I was hoping it would improve my spouse's stamina but it didn't. However, it reduced mine, so we are more closely matched but not in the way I had hoped. Maybe one day I will get the hang of it. First there is the mental drain from the responsibility of keeping it upright. Also, because of the lower power-to-weight ratio, I am constantly rowing through the gears. Second, I have to work with my arms and shoulders. I'll be doing some upper body strengthening, so that may help.
I can seriously sympathize with you, Tom. As much as I want to see my wife and I pedaling merrily away, its merely my personal ignis fatuus. I keep seeing tandems, and I keep wanting them, but reality has a strong pull on this aged body of mine, as well as the realization that my wife won't be able to to adapt to tandem riding. My quest for tandem enlightenment will have to wait for the next life.