J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
Sturmey-Archer's specified SA103B grease (for hub bearings) is a lithium complex mix, while SA103A (spec'ed for everything else) is straight lithium:
https://www.permaco.com/en-us/dept_52.html

What you say may be true from a mechanical engineering standpoint, but you can't blame Jacco if he's following Sturmey's recommendations, even if Sturmey's recommendations are ill-advised. Plus, if new Sturmey hubs have any operating characteristics that mimic the originals, varying the lubrication just slightly (even to long term advantages) might unexpectedly jam up something else. *cough* AW clutch *cough*

I don't disagree that some lithium greases are poorly formulated, but I also tend to be skeptical of expensive, bicycle-specific greases. This is a niche market, and this stuff is probably purchased in bulk, badged for Phil or Park, and upsold to us suckers. I'd gladly substitute with the marine greases that have widespread acceptance among the mechanics of the bike world and take my chances over supporting an upseller.

Also, there's no such thing as HPH-1; at least, not presently on the market. There's HPG-1. Was that what you had in mind?

-Kurt
Thank you for setting me straight. I did not realize that SA recommended lithium grease, and spoke my mind. I have the exact same IGH hub destined for a project coming up soon, and if I ever need to overhaul it, I'll be using some good grease. My personal go-to greases are SRAM butter for suspensions, Park Tool Polylube 1000 for assembly, and Bel-Ray marine grease for bearings. For lighter applications I use Phil Wood Tenacious Oil. Also, the HPH-1 was a fat-finger-fumble, and I really meant to type HPG-1.
Likes For J.Higgins: