View Single Post
Old 06-12-20, 06:44 PM
SuperLJ
"part timer"

Bikes: 1975 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1978 Bertin C35, 1982 Trek 614, 1983 Trek 620, 1984 Nishiki Seral, 1995 Mercian Ko’M, 1998 Fisher HKEK, 2000 Rivendell RS, 2001 Heron Touring, 2016 Nobilette Custom

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 61 Posts
Sorry, but I don’t have any experience with these specific tires, but Challenge Paris-Roubaixs have been my go-to tire for years. I think these are the same as the ones you’re inquiring about only slightly wider, so I’m assuming most of the following would also apply to the Elite Pros.

The P-Rs are marked 27mm, but run about 3mm wider on Open Pros at 30mm. New in the package they have no rounded tire shape to them at all - they’re completely flat. They are easily the hardest tires to mount tires I’ve ever had. Tube changes are easy though once they’ve been mounted, inflated, and have a chance to stretch.

In the past they had the reputation of being somewhat fragile and prone to tread cuts. Challenge must have changed the tread compound on the latest iteration though, and now they seem much more robust in that respect. The newer ones also have a red colored extra puncture resistant belt inside. For me, even the older model never seemed any more or less flat prone than other tires.

Here’s the good news: They are the best riding wired-on tires I’ve ever used. To me the feel like a good quality tubular. I have Herse Extra-Light tires in 28 and 32 on a couple bikes, and I think the Challenges actually have a more supple ride. They aren’t the highest mileage tire out there, but they’re so fast and comfy that I’m willing to put up with that. I usually get 2000 + or - miles out of a pair, but I don’t run tires out as far as some folks do.

Hope this helped a little.

Last edited by SuperLJ; 06-12-20 at 06:59 PM.