View Single Post
Old 06-12-20, 07:23 PM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts
I am also running some Challenge open tubular tires, though not the model you’re looking at. But I do have some observations and experience with them. I’m running the wider Almanzo tires on one bike and the Chicane on another. I’ll echo what SuperLJ says about the ride - they are very smooth, supple, and comfortable. They also seem pretty rugged - I did a single track ride today on my CX bike with the Chicanes, and they handled everything really well. But I will add this - because they are layed up by hand, they can have irregularities. The tread layer on one of my Chicanes started to delaminate. The tread ply is basically glued onto the casing. A shop employee who used to work for Challenge said that the tread ply on these can be removed and replaced - they were designed to do that. He told me how to repair the separation (really good contact cement), and since I’ve made the repair, I’ve had no problems. Both the Almanzos and Chicanes ran a few millimeters wider than advertised. These are also the easiest tires to get on and off my rims that I’ve ever had. Finally, I’d love to have a pair of Challenge road tires for my Ironman.