Old 11-19-19, 11:05 PM
showlow

Bikes: Lemond Zurich, All City Macho King Ace

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
This is not at all as crazy as it sounds. You might be able to sell for prices similar to what you pay, maybe even more. And you can sample lots of bikes that way. It might be quicker than coming to an understanding of how geometry works. Even knowing what a head angle or chain stay length does, you might make a decision and find you don't like it. So keep buying the dentists' bikes. That's basically what I do. I wait for a good value and then get rid of a bike I find I don't like. Since I build the bikes up myself, I save a bit of money, which allows me to own several bikes.
I've been doing this forever. Like, years and years. It's a great system. I've been able to try out so many bikes. I've also got a keen eye for a bargain, so I've lost track of how many people I've helped to buy bikes for over the years. 20+?

Anyway, like I said in my original post, what I'm looking for just isn't likely to come up used. I'm looking for a modern, fat tire, gravel friendly road bike (I want an Allied Allroad but can't afford one) that has a fast, road bike geometry, but manages to have some big tire clearances due to modern technology like disc brakes. That brought me to the All City Zig Zag, but when I tried to understand the geo charts and compared it to other bikes I've ridden, I found no consistency.