View Single Post
Old 08-28-13, 07:24 AM
AusTexMurf

Bikes: 2010 Origin8 CX700, 2003 Cannondale Backroads Cross Country, 1997 Trek mtn steel frame converted commuter/tourer, 1983 Univega Sportour, 2010 Surly LHT, Others...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
Pull-outs are one of the most prevalent kinds of accidents. A pull-out is the only incident I've had where I actually made contact with the car, though in my case I just pushed off with my palm since I'd already veered quite a lot and the car was slowing down.

They're always "didn't see him" incidents. That was the case with mine even though it was early morning (plenty light enough to see by), I was wearing an ANSI reflective vest and had > 400 lumens of headlight running.

Hope he's OK.
Absolutely sucks.
Tow truck pull out almost got me at an intersection a year ago, never happened before.
WHILE I WAS IN THE BIKE LANE. DIDN'T HAVE BIKE LANES ON THIS ROAD BEFORE.

WHAT I LEARNED......

What I already knew.....

Now when I fly down that big a$$ hill with the blind corner on the intersection(bamboo privacy fencing), I am all the way out left center in the auto lane, where I used to ride, oftentimes close to the double yellow stripe.
I am far more visible to pull outs and motorists that creep into the intersection.
And I have lots more room to my right or left to play with, as needed, to avoid a collision at speed......

Also, always make eye contact w/ intersecting traffic......