View Single Post
Old 08-28-13, 08:39 AM
AusTexMurf

Bikes: 2010 Origin8 CX700, 2003 Cannondale Backroads Cross Country, 1997 Trek mtn steel frame converted commuter/tourer, 1983 Univega Sportour, 2010 Surly LHT, Others...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
I always take the entire lane when flying down hills. But when huffing and puffing up big hills I'm usually far right or in the bike lane if there is one.

But those pull-outs are exactly the reason why bike lanes need to be as close to the travel lanes as possible. When you put a significant barrier between the road and the bike lane (physical barrier, car parking area, etc) the cars pulling out from driveways and side streets are more likely to just pull right on out as close as possible to the car lanes, often right in the path of bikes. Bike paths on the gulf coast of Florida are NOTORIOUS for this, and IMHO they are really dangerous.
Yes, but the offenders are usually driving tourists that are unaware of fl state laws (since 1996) and motorist responsibilities around 2 way cycle tracks in fl.

The locals all seem to get it, respect them, abide by them....at least in the tourist areas that I have cycled.
The driving tourists from all around suburbia USA, do not. They stop in the middle of the the cycle tracks and regularly penetrate into the dedicated bike lanes.

But, fl state laws and local ordinances are posted every where on roads and intersections around the 2 way cycle tracks there.

Motorists must stop BEHIND the cycle tracks. And they use heavy white lines to reinforce this.

And, motorists must yield to cycle traffic in the dedicated cycle track, also clearly posted in the areas of fl I have cycled.

In austin, we are participating in the green lane project/experiment w/ dedicated cycle tracks.
http://greenlaneproject.org
Although, we need more green non slip paint on the ground in intersections and transition areas.

How does the GreenLine in memphis deal with intersecting traffic ?

Bicycle crossings w/ cross arms ?
Bicycle traffic signals ?
Green paint ?
Flashing lights and crosswalks ?

Last edited by AusTexMurf; 08-28-13 at 08:51 AM. Reason: added date