View Single Post
Old 08-28-13, 11:27 AM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
Pull-outs are one of the most prevalent kinds of accidents. A pull-out is the only incident I've had where I actually made contact with the car, though in my case I just pushed off with my palm since I'd already veered quite a lot and the car was slowing down.

They're always "didn't see him" incidents. That was the case with mine even though it was early morning (plenty light enough to see by), I was wearing an ANSI reflective vest and had > 400 lumens of headlight running.
I wouldn't say they are always "didn't see him", they could easily be down to a misjudgement of how fast a cyclist is going. I remember reading an article some time back that, although based on one person's observations so arguably anecdata, suggested a lot of motorists see a bicycle and assume a speed of 8-10mph. If you've got a car pulling out expecting the approaching cyclist to be going 8mph and they are actually going 24mph the results aren't likely to be good.

Hope he's OK.
Likewise.