View Single Post
Old 08-28-13, 01:51 PM
AusTexMurf

Bikes: 2010 Origin8 CX700, 2003 Cannondale Backroads Cross Country, 1997 Trek mtn steel frame converted commuter/tourer, 1983 Univega Sportour, 2010 Surly LHT, Others...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
Ever been on Scenic 98 in Destin that runs along the coast? Path runs adjacent to the road, and all the streets have the painted white line AFTER the path crossing, right at the street. No signage to be seen anywhere alerting people to the presence of pedestrians and bikes on that path.

I rode on that path once with my wife going about 7-8 MPH for about 8 miles when we were down there a few weeks ago. The other 98 miles I rode was out on the road with the cars.

I just looked at the Street View which is from November 2007. They used to have heavy painted lines where the path crossed every road, with the Stop signs and stop lines painted behind the crossing. Since then (looking at the satellite view from this year) those heavy lines have been removed, and the stop line has been moved out ahead of the path crossing.
Yes, I have. And agree with you. If I am riding hard on a bike I bring with me or rented bike to cover distance, just fly in the flat lane of auto traffic on old 98. Very nice cycling. Scenic. Easy.

Or use the narrow but still present bike lanes on the newer inland highway to really cover flat ground in a hurry.

But if pootling around on a cruiser, or with the wife and kids on beach appropriate bikes, we use the cycle track. And it helps to train my kiddos on the inherit hazards of intersecting traffic of pedestrian and motorist kind.

But, stop line striping has been added in front of cycle track, from motorist perspective, in many, if not all intersections.

See here, one busy intersection in question:
http://goo.gl/maps/KopSs

Problems still at private hotel/condo drives, though.
I rode their extensively this past june, early. Possibly roads or cycle track resurfaced since ? Usually happens in summer months so heat helps with process.....Possible. I don't remember any significant changes or backwards steps from 3 years ago(last time I rode bikes, there).
And the state laws (1996) are posted on old 98.
And the local ordinances or signage of some sort necessitating motorists yield to pedestrians/cyclists in crosswalks and/or cycle tracks as well, I am almost certain.

Last edited by AusTexMurf; 08-28-13 at 02:18 PM. Reason: added google map link