Old 12-29-19, 01:18 PM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by 72andsunny
I just switched to Speedplays too. I agree, they are somewhat difficult to get into when, especially when I’m not perfectly lined up. I have walkable cleats, which sort of makes a target for the pedal, but also sort of makes it easy to be a little off.

Just to confirm: You have the correct cleats for your pedal, right? Not all of their models are compatible.
Originally Posted by chainwhip
OP - 72andsunny may have identified the issue for you.
>>>Some pedals by SP require their matching cleats.<<<

I've ridden Speedplays for over 5 years now , recently bought a used set (which I use with same shoes and original cleat set), and clipping in is reliable and requires only a light push as the crank arm moves down.
Have Zero pedals with Zero v2 cleats, the cleats came sealed in their plastic bag.

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
What model of SP did you get? Since you bought used, did you get the correct snap shim to match to your shoe's sole curvature, and/or is your shoe compatible with SP pedals? The linked is a sample guide for the Zeros: Speedplay Shoe Compatiblity

I'm guessing you more likely have a 3-hole shoe and not SP dedicated shoes? FWIW, I think it's the base plate mounting that's more sensitive to overtightening (4nM) or undertightening as relates to curvature of the pedal and problems clipping in.

If you haven't already, lube the cleat with some spray teflon, eg.
I have been using them on my spare shoes, which are old Performance house brand shoes and not listed. I had tried out the various shims to get a combo that appeared to sit flat. I just switched the cleats over to my LG shoes now which are listed and that has made a big difference. I'll have to do some more riding but it feels like I can now properly evaluate these pedals.

If so many issues are related to the bolt adapter warping, why doesn't Speedplay make a metal version of the adapter that would give a secure platform for their 4 hole cleat?