cia dog
Banned

Bikes: 87 Miyata 512

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bubu
Ok, I think I'm joining the cult as of today. Just bought a 1990 Miayata 1000lt. Perfect bike for my budget, my taste for lugs and steel, good fit for my short torso and arms and I was starting to get into old bikes alot and came across this one. The bike is near new, little scuffs and scratches but I have to really look for them. The guy even threw in some panniers for a couple'o'bucks more. It wasn't dirt cheap, I think I paid what it was worth (350 canadian dollars). I just hope my 220 pounds won't be too much for the bike, I already like it alot and don't want to part with it. Pics are gonna come when it will be cleaned, Evocet original saddle replaced with Brooks b-17 and bike fitted. Oh, one question, how should I threat the interior of the tubes? Rust converter? (there's no rust but I heard it protects...)

In Miyata I trust.
Sounds like a nice bike; I don't think you spend too much for it.

Interior rust is not usually much of a problem over the life of the bike IF you do this. You need to put a thin layer of grease on the seat post and inside the seat tube, then insert the post and wipe off the excess grease, then check to make sure that you see grease in the seat tube binder bolt slot, because thats where water enters in from tire spray. This is the area the most water enters into a frame. If your still paranoid about the slim chance of rust you can get J P Weigle's Frame Saver and remove your crank and bottom bracket and the headset and fork and remove the seat post and spray in every crook and cranny.

I had a 81 Schwinn Traveller that I literally rode through ocean water and surf when I lived in California for 23 years, on top of that it sat outside exposed to weather and rode in rain when I didn't want to ride my other bike. I had this bike from 81 till 04 when I removed the BB to see how bad it was I did find rust, but nothing that would have killed the bike, but since I was moving and it was going to need all new components since the salt water corroded the aluminum I junked it.

My 84 Trek has been rode in rain and there's not rust in it; the Miyata has no rust either but I'm not sure how it was treated prior to me buying it.

The Mercian was custom built for me and I had the folks at Mercian treat it for rust even though I wasn't really worried about it.

You need to decide for yourself if you think rust is going to be an issue, I never found it to be a problem.