View Single Post
Old 04-13-19, 03:06 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts
Originally Posted by Aubergine

Geeze. I know a lot of britishisms but that one escaped me. Thanks for the warning!
makes me think of a spanish word that I learned in Costa Rica a long time ago, that means kinda like a bratty pesky kid/ but also for an annoying insect.
When biking through Nicaragua two years back, we stopped to buy some ice cream, and a young girl was minding the store,she was maybe 10 or something. Her pesky brother was bumming around being a pesky brother, so at one point I said to her, "oh, he is a ____, " but in a way that was bascially saying with humour that he was being a pest. She looked at me kinda funny, so I repeated the word, and she still looked at me funny, I didnt know why, and off we went.
Later, when in CR and talking with a friend, he recounted a story (without knowing the ice cream kid story) where he told me of calling someone a _____ and some guys came up to him and were about to punch him.....and then after some confusion, he realized that the Costa Rican word in Nicaragua means "lady parts", and probably a vulgar one....

and so thats when I realized why that little girl was looking at me strangely.......so there you go, this stuff happens in other languages also!