View Single Post
Old 06-13-19, 12:56 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by mixteup
I must have sensitive eyes or something, but I need to use #3 or #4 green goggles to braze -
I have a really hard time seeing the bronze flow without them.
Do others use them, or am I just odd?
I usually braze with OA - Maybe that's why? The OP is just using safety glasses, so maybe the flare from MAPP brazing isn't as bright.
I've used #3 lens with oxy/ace and oxy/pro (I've also not and it's definitely harder), but you're correct in surmising the oxy/fuel operation is a LOT brighter. Curt Goodrich, who used to do frames for Rivendell, told me that the occasional user wouldn't risk eye damage, but it was essential for the professional who does it every day. The flux doesn't light up so much with mapp so you can see the puddle and the flux pretty well. Alex Wetmore likes a didymium lens - says he can read the color temperature of the metal better - but those are expensive. Then there's those old pictures of Ernest Csuka, of Alex Singer, brazing in nothing but a sweater and slacks, and he built amazing frames without going blind. To each his own, that's what I say.

Last edited by scarlson; 06-13-19 at 01:08 PM.