View Single Post
Old 08-21-19, 12:35 PM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
My personal opion is that you should try to get a hotel closer to the train station. For one you are going to be getting in so late and it is going to take a little less than an hour to get to your hotel. But also I do not advise taking the trail at night. Especially right near downtown.

I do not recommend riding the bike trail near the city at night. What I would do is to take 2nd Ave to the Hot Metal Bridge. There are also "affordable" hotels there next to the bike trail that would be my second chose after something right in the city. There is also a hostel on the southside somewhere but I do not know the location. And there is a new hotel on the same side of the river as downtown. Right near the Hot Metal Bridge called Hotel Indigo that might be affordable since it is in a business district but that is just my guess.

If you insist on staying in Homestead, from the southside to the hotel, you should be OK as far as safety. The waterfront area where the hotel is located is fairly safe but DO NOT venture into the heart of Homestead itself. It is one of the higher crime rate areas in the city.

Again I advise getting a place close to the station. In addition to getting to bed at a reasonable time, it might give you a chance to explore the city a bit in the morning. There are our inclines, the point and Bicycle Heaven (the largest bicycle museum in the world). all well worth the extra $100 or so you might save on a hotel in Homstead.
Spinnaker, you are thinking about the hotel in the Waterfront area, but I think Wynnewood is talking about the one on 10th Street in the South Side.

Wynnewood, if it were me, I'd try for a hotel closer to the Amtrak station as well, but only to decrease the travel time and increase my sleep time. Check out the Drury Plaza Hotel, the Hampton Inn Downtown, or Homewood Suites by Hilton Downtown. All are closer to the rail station being only a few blocks away. But hey, maybe you are using hotel points with Holiday Inn, in that case...

If I were riding to the Holiday Inn Express late at night and mid-week and I had a good front and rear light on my bike, I'd ride right down Grant Street, turn right onto Ft. Pitt Blvd., turn left and cross the Smithfield Street Bridge. Then turn left on Carson. At the hour that Amtrak gets in and on a mid-week night, I'd probably ride on the sidewalk on Carson, turning left on 10th Street to the hotel. Probably a 15 to 20 minute ride. On the weekends, Carson is crazy busy (lots of bars and restaurants that are open quite late), both car and pedestrian-wise, you'd either need to ride a back street or just walk your bike part of the way, depending on traffic and your personal comfort level.

Here's a map: Pittsburgh Amtrak to Holiday Inn Express South Side Modify it as you see fit. Not sure about a shuttle service. Maybe Uber if you can order a larger vehicle/minivan? Enjoy your ride!

Last edited by Altair 4; 08-21-19 at 12:38 PM.
Likes For Altair 4: