Old 01-29-20, 03:09 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
When did "This thing of ours" get started?

Specifically, C&V. The grass roots "movement" before we got to where we are today, with vintage bikes, parts and vintage-bike-centric rides and events galore?

I bought my first vintage bike in 1994; it was only 11 years old at the time. However, I was already seeing references to vintage lightweight stuff in both sales ads in local publications (London, UK, where I happened to be stationed when I got into this) and online. That's right; way back then one could find a few websites dealing exclusively with vintage frames and components. One I recall vividly was Renaissance Cycles in Holland, which offered NOS Campy (at insane prices), NOS and used high-end framesets (somewhat less-insane prices) and even refurbished parts - this latter offering was the catalyst for me to try my hand at refurbishing my own parts.

What do you think? For me, it started in the mid-90s, but I didn't know there was a presence out there until I discovered this forum in 2009. Oh, I knew there were collectors and the like out there, but didn't know there were people like me that still rode them regularly, or that others took vintage frames and updated them with modern components. It's been great finding this community, and I'm curious how we got it to where it is today. My contributions to the hive mind have spanned just 10 years, but I've been into this far longer than that. What about you?

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude: