View Single Post
Old 01-14-19, 09:09 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 1,966 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe

Great idea! Are those DA 6800 shifters? What’s the story on the Rt 39 sticker on the headset?
They're Ultegra ... I think 6800. There was a couple of years where Shimano offered an "ice" finish that shiny, but darker than the standard finish. The brakes and drivetrain have that finish.

Ah ... the US395 sticker. You'll note my user name is Biker395. That came about when I was registering for an email address I was going to use for purchases, figuring I'd get a lot of junk emails. I asked for the name "Biker" and of course, that was taken. It offered Biker 2006, biker 90505 ... all kinds of other numbers. But the number that meant the most to me was 395 ... the number of the US route that heads through the Owens Valley. It's a beautiful road and my favorite area so I picked that.

It turns out I got almost NO junk on that email, so I used it a lot, and later chose it for my online identity in a lot of places, including here.

But why the sticker? Well, ask Vertical Bob. He's a San Gabrielophile just as I am a Sierraphile, and he had a highway badge for Angeles Crest Highway (Highway 2) on his head tube. I thought it was a great idea and adopted it.

It works especially well on that Scott, as it had an unusual head tube design ... the name Scott is waaaay down at the bottom and there is a big empty space in the middle of the head tube.