Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by EuanTait
Thanks for taking the time to educate me on this. I have already cut out the soft drinks, I'm working on my consumption swapping fast food type fats with healthy ones such as Nuts. Im also starting a daily routine with 'at home' exercises such as the plank which I can hold for about 4/5 mins to further aid me. But my biggest issue is motivation and I know I like to put days off to just chill out but I will set a target and work up from there. Once again thank you for taking the time to write me a reply.
No problem, glad to help. But, while nuts are definitely healthier to snack on than Doritos, cookies or 'tater chips, they're also surprisingly high in calories (not to mention, expensive as hell, these days).
Take a look at this site, it illustrates how few nuts it takes to get to 100 calories (or to get to a thousand !! )
https://www.thekitchn.com/a-visual-g...-kitchn-201778
If you're lounging around on the couch with a big jar of nuts, you ain't doing your diet any favors !
One of my favorite healthy snacks is sliced sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes are one of those "super-foods", and a much better complex carb than regular potatoes,bread,or pasta.
After washing them, I slice several of them about 1/4" thick (maybe a little thicker), then rub them down with olive oil, then liberally sprinkle them with cinnamon (plain, no sugar in it) ,and toss a couple cookie sheets of those into the oven for about an hour.
After they cool, I put them into a couple zip-lock baggies in the fridge, and eat just a few at a time, as it occurs to me that my diet is lacking some complex carbs. They don't go bad quickly, either.
(Toss a few into a teflon pan on the stove, and they're really tasty heated up again, but i usually can't be bothered, and just eat them cold.)
Carrots are another healthy, cheap snack. I'm always surprised at how well a carrot or two will ward off the hungries for a while.
If you have an Aldi's near you, they sell organic spring mix, spinach, and kale, pretty inexpensively (cheaper than wal-mart). I've been eating a jumbo kale/spinach salad, in a bowl about the size of a football, almost everyday for the past year or two. (the more salad-like spring mix is almost mandatory, to help dilute the seaweed/pinestraw taste and texture of the kale and spinach !)
But for rare occasions,I stay away from those high-calorie creamy dressings, and use a low-cal Italian (Wal-mart's house brand Great Value is only 25 cals per serving), or lately, I've been making my own oil & vinegar dressing, and I'm loving that stuff !!!
I almost always toss in a whole Roma tomato, some cucumber, and some broccoli.
BTW, not eating late is a time-honored weight loss technique. Get used to going to bed a little hungry, it helps.

Last edited by Brocephus; 07-10-19 at 05:30 PM.