Old 01-16-20, 10:42 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Went back on 1/16/20 and did the whole trail Bronx -> Brewster. Perhaps because it was a weekday ran into an excavator and dump truck at work on the stretch in Amawalk above Yorktown Heights between Quaker Church Rd and Granite Springs Rd. Pedaled up to them expecting to get told to turn around, but they paused and let me through.

Does raise the question though if that stretch is blocked what the best route around it would be. Quaker Church to Granite Springs, or Mahopac Ave.

Before I know I was going to get through I also thought about turning around, checking a map now it was 16.3 miles on to Brewster as planned and ridden but 18.6 south to Eastview, off the branch and downhill to the train at Tarrytown. Those more comfortable with road routings could probably head west to Katonah or Goldens Bridge.

Anyway it looks for the moment like the areas likely to see work are between Yorktown Heights and the county line at Baldwin Place, and the brief 1/4 mile detour from just north of the Kitchawan Bridge to Birdsall Drive, the first road the trail crosses just above the washed out section where the narrow fence was.

Last edited by UniChris; 01-27-20 at 12:02 PM.