View Single Post
Old 03-04-21, 08:22 AM
southpier

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
So, you want to eliminate cables that interfere with your front bag. What type of bike is this, and what is the gearset? If indexed, you could potentially switch to combination shifter/brake levers that are compatible. Or, you could run the housing up beneath the bar tape to the stem.

Or, you could swap in downtube shifters. They are the simplest.

By doing this ^ you will change a major control element of your bike. I ride downtube shifters on two of my vintage bikes, and the ergonomics are different, as are the balance requirements. Shifting is a lot more frequent action than grabbing a water bottle. On the downtube, you have to anticipate shifts a bit earlier. It's not as convenient as shifting on the bars. I find that I have to be more alert in traffic, near the "door zone", stopping at traffic signals on descents, and on incline changes mid-climb. These all require better anticipation and more physical control (by the rider) than when shifting similarly from the handlebars. Just something to consider.

thanks; i appreciate the considerations and they certainly weigh keeping the bar ends. the bike is a Surly LHT with IRC double chainring & cranks conversion. if i need a granny gear, i'll get off and walk it or stand on the pedals. the guy at the LBS called it a 'close-compact' set up whatever that means. i've adapted. i think the micro-shift bar ends are not true friction, but some type of combination. again, i like them and i've been able to adapt. retro-grouch. there's too much crap in the modern world i just simply don't need.

if i could afford it, i would drive a 36 hp split window VW. unfortunately, $2,500 cars now sell for 100k$.

edit: since my daily ride (20 - 25 miles) only requires using the small chainring twice, thrice if i'm not paying attention, would it be too messed up to have one down & one bar end? i never run into anyone i know, so if i'm mocked little difference would it make in my enjoyment. the front shift cable is the worst offender as far as kinking. they both project the same distance in their loop to the cable stops (ocd), so i've not been able to conjecture "why".

Last edited by southpier; 03-04-21 at 08:28 AM.