Eggplant Jeff
45 miles/week

Bikes: Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Caspar_s
But your jaw? Driving to work would cause me to clench my jaw more than riding :-)
Yeah well that's a mental thing and theoretically I can control it .

The muscles for your jaw run all down your neck and into your shoulders. It's pretty hard to do any kind of exercise that includes your upper body without working jaw muscles.

I had TMJ disorder, where the cartilege discs that project the jaw joint were dislocated. The surgery was to put them back where they belong. Whatever caused the dislocation was a long time ago, when I was a kid sometime. The Dr. could tell it wasn't recent based on the condition of the joint. My jaw started giving me problems about two years ago, first they tried treating it with an orthotic device (a plastic thing in my mouth that made my jaw close differently) but the discs didn't go back on their own so I finally had surgery.

Originally Posted by tokolosh
did you explain to your doc how NOT exercising strenuously may defeat the purpose of banning strenuous exercise?
I'm hoping after a couple weeks I can convince him to let me bike "a little" . It seems like I'm healing well already (I can already stretch my jaw as far as he said I need to by the 2-week mark) so hopefully he'll be impressed and relax the restrictions early.

Originally Posted by jyossarian
Sorry to hear that Jeff. And spring's coming soon too.
Yeah tell me about it! As soon as he said no riding for 8 weeks I was like WHY couldn't I have had this done back in december?!

Probably no new bike at the moment... As good an idea as that is, I don't have a place to keep another one right now. Maybe after I move... . I do have some other projects kicking around the house that I might get done though.

Well I decided since I was have a red star now I ought to have a full-size avatar. I didn't have the full-size parrot image laying around any more so I just made a new one. I can change it back if you liked the parrot better though .