View Single Post
Old 05-31-11, 05:45 PM
jakevance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ryanwood
Sweet rides, my crosscheck is backed up by a 1979 Schwinn LeTour converted to single speed, but that trek is gorgeous. Also, what rack is that on your surly? I have been looking for something I can strap a couple of panniers to without heel strike issues.
Update: I just got my panniers in the mail today (Timbuk2 Tandem Pannier), and I can verify that on my 52cm Cross Check, with the Bontrager Back Rack and the Tandem Pannier, there is absolutely no heel strike. I have size 11.5 feet, and even with my feet pushed so far back on the pedal as possible, while still being able to pedal with my toes there's still at least a couple inches of clearance, or more. Pedaling with my feet in a normal position (clipped in on the balls of my feet), there's got to be at least 4-5 inches of clearance. Of course, it's worth pointing out that the Timbuk2 Tandem Panniers DO angle upwards towards the back a few degrees, to give more clearance, but I'm confident that similar sized panniers, even without this feature, will fit just fine.

Very pleased with this setup, and highly recommend it!