Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by Outrider1
Whatcha riding yourself?
I have several.
The bike I put the most miles on over the last 20 years is this Ragazzi, bought new for 268 DM (approx$150) at Real (a German K-Mart type chain). After putting over 50,000 mostly all weather commuting miles on it I replaced the Sachs 7 speed coaster brake IGH with a Sachs Torpedo 3 speed coaster hub which I had on hand. The bike frame is pretty beat up now and I just use it for local poor weather riding.

Sometimes I ride this Motobecane bought new from Bikes Direct for about $500 the 8 speed Shimano IGH was a little finicky to get adjusted just right to get all 8 speeds but works well now and as I am 73 the lower gear range is used more often. The rim brakes work well even when wet but are not so good in snow and a rear coaster brake would serve me better.

Sometimes I ride this Gary Fisher Trek bike with a Shimano 3 speed coaster IGH. It is a very nice bike that I picked up at a garage sale a few years ago for $75. Reminds me a bit of the Raleigh Sports bike that I owned in 70's thru 90'S.

I've got others and they all serve me well and I consider all decent, many other bikes from numerous sources would also serve me well.
Bottom Line is:
Different bikes for different folks and value is best judged by the (intended) user, not the peanut gallery.