Old 06-13-11, 06:49 PM
Burton
Certified Bike Brat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Torellian
Actually, I'm not sure if what is on my tube could be defined as "dimples" or not. They actually protrude outward, but when I press on them, they form inward like a dimple. They are directly over where the spoke heads are, so I guess that has something to do with it.

FBinNY: The rubber strip in my rim right now was put there by the manufacturer, which is Specialized. I assume they put it there because that's what was there originally. Of course, it's the LBS who actually assembles the bike, so maybe they swapped parts when assembling it. I'll never know for sure. But it's surprising that the top bike manufacturer would use inferior parts.
OK So I guess we have a bit of a communication problem - or had. If you have a double walled rim the indentations or dimples are caused by the holes over the spoke heads and not by the spoke heads themselves. The spoke heads are the next level down.

But I completely agree with FB`s previous post. A rubber rim tape has no business in a double walled rim - and if you`re running high pressure tires its just totally unacceptable. Go for a nylon or self adhesive woven rim tape and disgard the rubber altogether.