View Single Post
Old 12-23-13, 09:30 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by mack_turtle
question about gravel bikes:

I have a Pake C'mute steel cross/commuter that I built up as a mutt with random parts. it weighs a ton (at least it does to me, 150 pounds of skin and bones)! It has friction 2x9 shifting. I mostly use if for commuting to work but I also take it on long road rides and I would like to do some gravel grinders starting with the Texas Chainring Massacre in January. This bike can handle 40mm+ tires but I think it's overkill. I do not have the space or the budget for multiple bikes, so I need a true do-all bike that can handle the above duties. I have a mountain bike for true off-road riding.

I would like to get a more road-ish bike that can handle a rear rack for commuting, but will take some gravel-worthy tires for the occasional gravel race. I have been eyeing the Novara Verita and, as an REI employee, I can get a great deal on it. I can probably sell my C'Mute and get a Verita with that money. the Verita should be able to handle 28mm tires with the included fenders and I think I can get some 32mm knobbies in there without fenders. I am going to experiment with that today. the medium Verita has a 540mm ETT, 70.5° HA and a 73° SA. that's a slack HA! if 32mm knobbies fit in that frame and fork, would the geo of that bike be suitable for the occasional gravel race, or would the handling suck?
At 150 lbs you can ride a smaller tire at lower air pressure than a larger rider. A 700x32 tire would work very well on almost any gravel road or path, even badly maintained trails that are not too steep. A 700x28 tire might require very good bike skills and slower speeds on badly maintained trails, but it could be done.

The Shimano BR-R650 brake is a long reach brake with a reach long enough for a 700x32 tire. If the fork and chainstays are designed for a larger tire, a 700x32 should fit.

The slack head-tube angle might cause the steering to feel slow, but that's not a critical issue on gravel.

The bike might be ideal for you.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 12-23-13 at 09:52 AM.