View Single Post
Old 08-08-20, 01:41 PM
Kat12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 279 Posts
Specialized Chamonix MIPS for me. I like it okay. All black, which I'm fine with (though a couple of friends have hi-viz yellow and I have to admit they're cool), and at least it's not pink or some other "girly" color. What they had at the bike shop in my price range on the day I went (I have never in my life owned such an expensive helmet, though I realize that ~$70 is on the low end). These days I'm not 100% sure it fits perfectly; when I bought it the guy at the LBS thought I'd take a medium/large despite the fact that I have a small head (I wear kids' glasses, or at the very least the smallest women's size, and often wear kids' hats, so you can see why this was a surprise to me). When I compared the medium/large vs the small/medium, it did seem the larger size had less of that look of "perching" on top of my head that I tend to get with helmets (despite the fact that my head is actually all the way in) so I agreed with him and bought the larger size, but now I'm not certain. I can get it snug with the adjustments though, so there's that.

And I agree with Salamandrine. I have never in my life fallen off a bike in such a way that it wasn't my elbows/knees that took the brunt (next candidate would likely be my face, which nothing but a full-face helmet is going to save me from)-- I'm no super-fast rider so it's unlikely I'd go crashing onto my head at a low speed*-- but, all bets are off if I were to get hit by a car and actually go flying. I don't especially trust other drivers at all anyway, but it's more of a concern when there's no heavy metal frame or airbags or seatbelts between me and their two-ton fast-paced projectile.

Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
True, but you put it out of your mind a couple seconds later

DD
And it does quickly turn to regret, so there's that...

*I think the last time I fell off-- keep in mind that I don't ride that often so don't have much opportunity anyway-- was maybe 15+ years ago when I was actually stopped, trying to turn the bike around on a sidewalk; somehow I turned the front wheel too much, put myself enough off-balance that I hit the concrete. I can't even remember the last time I might've fallen off while actually riding, if it actually has happened since I was learning. Maybe that time I hit a pothole fast-ish, but that at most would've just resulted in me coming off the seat and slamming onto the center bar/into the handlebars, not actually falling.

Last edited by Kat12; 08-08-20 at 01:47 PM.