Old 09-20-20, 10:26 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
Can you clarify something? You say that you'll "avoid the 50-29 combo" - is that because you don't want to cross-chain or is it because that combination is beyond the capacity of your short-cage RD? I'm asking because I currently run a 51/39 crank with a 12/23 cassette - creating a chain wrap of 23, obviously well within the capacity of my 10sp Chorus medium-cage RD (nominal chain wrap cap. = 30). I'm contemplating switching in a compact (50/34) crank, which would up the chain wrap to 27, and I have a 13/29 cassette that I swap in for serious climbing days. The combination of the compact crank and the climbing cassette would push the chain wrap to 32 - technically beyond the capacity of my RD, but I haven't actually tested it. If your short-cage RD can handle this combo, then my medium-cage RD should have no problem, which would be very encouraging for my future climbing!
I'm avoiding the 50-29 combo because of cross chaining, not because it can't do it. In fact I've found myself in the combo a few times already without realizing it. I've been in the habit of going to the largest cog for many years now when I've needed it without giving it any thought, and I find myself doing it even with the 29 tooth cog even though I want to avoid it. Go ahead and try it out, it hasn't caused any mechanical issues. You can see that the chain stretches the derailleur out completely but not so much that it doesn't work.

What I like is that the 21-23-26 tooth cogs are all a step lower on the cassette and cross chaining is much less of an issue with these now.

Last edited by zacster; 09-21-20 at 10:42 PM.
Likes For zacster: