Thread: 2020 Randonnees
View Single Post
Old 10-13-20, 09:40 AM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 103 Posts
Autumn is here and last weekend I finished my SR this year with a nice flat 200K that went through a nice part of the province... the Niagara peninsula between Lake Erie and Lake Ontario. The route gets close to the falls but doesn't go into the city and I've seen them so many times it's not worth the detour for me. We have another 200 that comes from Lake Ontario and it's a hillier route than this one. This past weekend there was another group out on this route and they had massive headwinds. When I rode it there was heavy rain on the drive down to the start but it cleared up shortly before we started... and since I'd put my mudguards on the bike and brought a rain jacket, it didn't rain on the ride for us. One of my buddies came along and I pulled for the whole ride and he bought all the food... it was a good arrangement. There are 3 controls, all at fast food places so stop time was spent sitting outside and we finished in 10:10.

Toronto and Ottawa have had to close down restaurants/bars again and there are restrictions on gatherings too. I don't live there but will probably not be doing anything more than 100k outdoors this year. This past weekend I did a mini tour to scout out a planned 600K that ended up being hillier than anticipated... got 3700m in the first 340km and my ride back was 2000m in 210km. The ride I did doesn't quite match the planned 600k but it's over 5000m on rwgps, but it'll have to wait until 2021 for a proper pre-ride.

Temperature map, it went from 8C to 20C with a bit of wind but nothing too bad. My wahoo got direct sun and recorded 30C but it never got above 20

Bridge to Buffalo, USA was almost empty

Beautiful winding roads

Grapes ready to harvest. Wine grapes grow well near the north part of the peninsula

The water in the Welland river and Niagara river is often a nice colour

The route finishes with a ~100m descent that is a bit rough in spots
Likes For clasher: