View Single Post
Old 03-28-17, 09:30 AM
Rudomanski

Bikes: 2011 Long Haul Trucker, 2015 Seven Evergreen, 2000 KHS Tandemania Sport, early 90s Trek Antelope, 2013 Surly Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rinko Bikes on Amtrak

Inspired by Bicycle Quarterly's use of the Japanese "Rinko" system, I just got one of my bikes set-up to break down this way. There are a few differences (threadless stem, disc brakes), but overall it packs down in a similar fashion to what is shown in Jan Heine's blog . I am pretty much ready to go, with the exception of the Rinko Bag, which I plan to sew over the next couple days out of some lightweight, rip-stop nylon.

I have seen a couple posts from Jan and other folks on the west coast taking their bicycles rinko-style as carry-ons onto the train. However, I just don't trust amtrak, and it seems this kind of thing is totally up to the discretion of the conductor. Amtrak's policy states: "Folding bicycles under the dimensions of 34" x 15" x 48" (860 x 380 x 1120 mm) will be allowed onboard all trains in lieu of a piece of carry-on baggage....Only true folding bicycles (bicycles specifically designed to fold up into a compact assembly) are acceptable. Generally, these bikes have frame latches allowing the frame to be collapsed, and small wheels. Regular bikes of any size, with or without wheels, are not considered folding bikes, and may not be stored as folding bikes aboard trains."

Technically bringing a bike onboard in this way is against their policy. My bike packs down under these dimensions, but it is not a true folding bike. In practice, are they going to care that my bike is not a true folding bike? I am an experienced and relatively frequent multi-modal traveler, often taking the greyhound, with one of those larger bicycle bags in which I only need to remove the handlebars and front wheel. I have always avoided Amtrak with my bike, as their policies seem to be more strict. Also, the size of the bike is visible, taking up room inside of a passenger car, rather than inside the luggage area of a bus. Anyone have experience bringing a bicycle in rinko form onboard as a carry-on?

I'm planning on riding a permanent outside of Rochester, NY this weekend and might take an Empire Service or Lakeshore Limited train from Buffalo.