Old 09-05-19, 06:54 PM
RECfromPA

Bikes: 2016 Rivendell Joe Appaloosa, 2017 Handsome Cycles She-Devil

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jpescatore
From Washington Crossing to New Hope is table flat. If both sides were dry, I'd probably prefer the PA side, which had more views of the river. On the NJ side, the canal seemed to veer further from the river and was more by a road. The NJ side also got more confusing and fragmented as you neared Lambertville.

So, if it was dry and I could only do one side I'd probably do PA but you could make a nice 16 mile loop and do both - I'm pretty sure the bridge at Lambertville has a sidewalk for bikers/peds.
I went on a short, but lovely ride, on the PA side from Wash. Crossing to New Hope and back. The PA side is nice and shady and I spoke with a local who told me the NJ side was sunny, especially in the afternoon. If you're coming from PA, just prior to the Scudders Falls Bridge, take that exit (I think it's the last one in PA and marked New Hope), go about a mile west towards the park. There is a gravel parking lot on the right that is next to the path. I'll park there next time to add a couple more miles.

I did stop and sit at a covered picnic table area for about 20 minutes, about 1/2 way to New Hope and tucked my legs below the seat. Beware of fleas! I had more than two dozen bites on the back of my calves, which I suppose I got there, the only time I got off my bike.

Also, be prepared to wash your bike afterwards. It was very dusty and my bike was filthy.

Thanks for the information. I will go back.