Old 03-10-20, 10:14 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
BTW...The store in the former Stockton train station is pretty well stocked for something of its size and usually has good, pre-made breakfast sandwiches in the morning and fried chicken later in the day.
I've actually found it really hard to get what I'm looking for in little touristy towns. Typically (at least in a season when fountains aren't on) that's a bottle of water and maybe something packaged. Tried on my first ride to get a deli sandwich there but am always feeling like I'm burning too much time on stops so a line, or a family all placing orders tends to lead to walking out empty handed. I did get water at that store northbound on Sunday, mistake was not getting more in Frenchtown as I then ran out on the muddy section in PA between Ringing rocks and Kintersville. But if one has a more relaxed day where just getting to the end of the ride by dark is not a worry, then I could see some of the tourist options being a nice break.

Incidentally, here is about what I've found for quick stop water + prepackaged options:

Morrisville - plenty of choices like 7-11 near entrance to trail, etc. On return got a collapse-preventing soda sugar & caffeine hit and a bag of chips at tobacconist on the north just before the bridge to Trenton.

Washington Crossing, maybe something on the road ride from the D&L to the bridge, not much on the NJ side.

New Hope - finally discovered an out-of-place bodega on the south side as the hill starts up from the bridge. Lumberville there's a gas station mart several blocks east.

Stockton - store in the train station. Big trendy food court place on the north side of the street but nothing fast in there. Not aware of anything on the PA side.

Bull's Island - nothing (bathrooms but only in season). On the PA side Black Bass cafe does I think have water but on a nice early spring afternoon was quoted 45 minutes for a simple turkey sandwich.

Frenchtown - went a few blocks back to the Citgo station, bike shop also has water but closes early afternoon to go riding. Sunbeam General Store on front street might work but closed early in the week. Nothing in Uhlerstown which is just a few private homes / farms.

Kintersville-Riegelsville - Exxon station with big sign across from the canal was somewhat literally a lifesaver as I'd run out of fluids negotiating some soggy trail in the sun. Unclear what Traugers Farm Market has, they were closed on Sunday and then southbound refilled at the Exxon rather than take my chances.

Easton - worth noting there's not much on the west/south bank, would have to cross the river into town.

Also worth noting I basically did not have phone signal between marginal connection in New Hope / Lumberville and then Frenchtown / Uhlerstown. Nothing in Stockton or Bull's Island - was going to make my room reservation from Stockton but ended up not being able to do it until Frenchtown, at which point I'd exceeded my same day return range.

Last edited by UniChris; 03-10-20 at 10:20 AM.