Old 09-29-18, 08:28 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by GLJo
Just a thought - why don't you just get a big apple tyre first and try it on the stock wheel?
As its a 'balloon tyre', I'm wondering if its actually designed to cope better with thinner rims than say a 2.35 knobbly MTB ??
Don't know this for certain, just wondering. I have 2.35 big apples on a 19mm rim on a different bike, and they seem fine.
Good idea with buying the tire separately. Just one self-inflicted problem: I order them from Europe (<$20 vs. $45 in US) and like to order rim, hub etc. all at once since there is a 20 euro shipping fee no matter the amount.
Ultimately I want a wider rim, I'm just a believer in them as they give me wider tires and I can run at lower pressure.

Did you set up yours tubeless and was that easy? They are not rated tubeless, but I read one can. I'm currently tubeless, so that will be important. I assume on your 19mm rims they are a bit under 60mm wide (Schwalbe are a bit on smaller side). The fork has almost 75mm room, so even with 30mm rims it should not go close to 70mm.

I'm open to other tire suggestions, but the market for over 2" tires, tubeless and with low-resistance pavement profile is very thin.