View Single Post
Old 04-10-19, 03:23 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
Originally Posted by gauvins
1. I'll second the advice to never eat, never never cook, never bring food, absolutely never store food in a tent. Forget about Grizzlies - mice, squirrels and other small rodents have a good sense of smell too, and will chew thru your tent in a matter of seconds. Had rabbits ruining mesh in one of our tents (kids have learned their lesson). The "threath level" is higher in parks and campgrounds, where wildlife isn't that wild anymore. We carry food in a bear bag (kevlar, secured to the bike.).

2. We usually, whenever possible, take rain as god's way to tell us that we should support the local hospitality industry. (In our case, a dark cloud is enough

3. Caught in severe downpours a few times. Never bothered to cook a hot meal. Would rather survive on hard boiled eggs + GORP. We typically carry a 2+ days supply of hand-to-mouth food items. + several Clif bars in our handlebar bags.
I like that #2 , I am sure on some trips I have eaten in restaurants or whatever when the weather was iffy, but then I have always liked taking a break from campfood at times anyway.
Its funny, but I dont have many memories of having to cook in the rain, and the few times I do remember, I've always been able to find some shelter in a campground or whatever, so it was never a big deal--but yes, eating in local eateries is always part of the fun of travelling anyway, and in our small part is helping local economies, which I find important also.