View Single Post
Old 01-12-20, 05:42 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
Another set back today. I had everything ready to go, I thought. Took the bike out to go for a ride this morning. The first time I put pressure on the NDS pedal, the crank arm just flopped loose and I was dumbfounded. What the hell just happened. When I took the arm off and looked at the connection links, they were sheared off and pieces of metal on the end of the spindle. I know when I installed that arm, before tightening it on to the spindle, it did not align correctly with the driveside arm. I pulled it off and remounted it and aligned ok. However, tightening it onto the spindle only took maybe half the number of normal full turns of the bolt before it was seated on the spindle. I did not know what was going on. I looked at both arms and they were aligned properly, both were equidistant from the BB shell and the chainstay. I put pressure on them with my hands/arms and all seemed to be good. I do not know if I somehow screwed it up, or if it was damaged when I got it. I bought it off Ebay because it looked really nice and a very good price, and the arms are 170 mm.

So, I removed the DS crankarm, looked at, cleaned and lubed the BB spindle, got the 175mm crankset I had replaced, and mounted both sides with no issues. That is far as I got. I just need to put the pedals back on, take another look at everything, and hopefully, ride it tomorrow. It sure could have been me that did the damage. At this point, doesn't matter. It is done, so just move forward. I always have challenges doing anything mechanical, DIY projects, and such. This one has been a tough one. As always, it could have been much worse.